March 2012 Notesbrowser 1.9 released!
Notesbrowser 1.9 Final is released now!
The Notesbrowser Team is proud to release the new Notesbrowser 1.9!
We will give out new registration data for Notesbrowser 1.9. The old registration data are supported a while but will stop working in some months. Update for existing customers to the new registration data is completely free.
We spend more development time in this version than in all versions before. The reason is, that we reworked Notesbrowser internally a lot. There are not many new features compared with Notesbrowser 1.8.6, but we improved the already high stability. And removed a lot of bugs.
New features in Notesbrowser 1.9
- new cool skin from Mel, called "2012":
- Categories can be moved with drag & drop
- the search is much faster now
- the search stops now if the search text is contained in the category name or in the page name
- a double click on the date preview field will open the reminder
- the category buttons have been exchanged to new improved buttons that support transparency (we improved the skins accordingly)
- if you open Notesbrowser and there is a appointment that is repeated more than once, there will be only one popup window telling you how often it will be repeated, not one popup window for every repetition
- backup and restore now make checksum checks after copying files - before only the existence of the file was checked. This prevents weired errors where only parts of files are copied
- F5 (in the Freeform Mode) will turn off the Freeform mode and accept the changes (works like the enter key)
- copy text formattings will now also copy the font correctly
- incompletely loading of categories will be prevented: A customer reported a bug (which we could not reproduce) that a category was loaded incompletely and then saved with loss of data. While we could not reproduce this bug, we changed the loading so that Notesbrowser will exit with an error message without saving if an category could not be loaded fully.
- all temporary files will be created with a temporary, unique filename to prevent bugs if multiple instances of Notesbrowser run and use the same database (this improves the printing, playlists and moving categories)
- moving categories is basically switching the files. This file operation will now be verifies with a checksum test.
- bug removed: moving categories in the network mode could, in rare circumstances but reproducible, lead to a category not be consistent with the category name. We finally improved the category lock concept so that this can no longer happen
- bug removed: long page names could lead to an error (index out of bounds) and to wrong positioning of the page rename box
- if you rename a page and press the little scroll arrow, the rename box will be closed
- bug removed: the "Cancel" button did not work correctly in two dialogs (page design and category design)
- in a few dialogs the key commands 'enter' and 'ESC' did not work at all
- bug removed: A bug prevented the proper use of the activated numeric keypad for special characters, for example ALT + 0187 will now result in '»'
- the word wrap settings did not always work correctly at startup
- bug removed: if you tried to insert a category from the clipboard but declined the question to overwrite the existing category, there could open an error message that the column is already locked
- bug removed: if you set Win7 to sleep mode (to save energy) it was possible that after wake up, Notesbrowser did not show dates. Bug removed (Thanks go to Wux)
- if you double click an internal links e.g. (2/4) it will be colored red. This happened also if the link is already red, causing Notesbrowser to see this as a change and save unnecessarily (Thanks go to Bernd)
- if the printer is reporting an error there is now a more meaningful error message coming from Notesbrowser
- bug removed: starting Notesbrowser in the "Always Stay on Top" modus could make the font color select button not opening
- bug removed: with word wrap turned on in the text fields a wrapped link to a music file was not added correctly to a playlist
- Many small bugs removed
Have fun with Notesbrowser 1.9!
Your Notesbrowser Team
February 2012 - Notesbrowser Lite 1.0 released
After 2 years of development, we are very proud to present our new product: Notesbrowser Lite!
We believe that we created a unique tool! Try it (free of charge)!
Notesbrowser Lite is a Lightweight version of Notesbrowser Professional. It is reduced to the core: notes keeping and organizing. Notesbrowser Lite is a small program and loads extremely fast.
Our goal was to create a notes and project organizing tool that is of the size of a small text editor, but powerful enough to manage thousands of notes. There may be other big and powerful notes organizers out there in the Internet - but Notesbrowser Lite is powerful and also Lightweight!
Who will love Notesbrowser Lite
Notesbrowser Lite will be very useful for Notesbrowser users who have used Notesbrowser quite a while and use it mostly for notes keeping and do not use other features like the calendar or reminder.
Notesbrowser Lite is very basic. If you have never used Notesbrowser you should install and try it first. However, normal PC users will get along with Notesbrowser Lite fast.
Notesbrowser Lite can be used together with Notesbrowser Professional. They are 100% compatible. For example, you can use Notesbrowser Lite to organize the notes and tasks that you use daily and use Notesbrowser Professional to store dates and organize notes and projects you need only infrequently.
Intentionally not included in Notesbrowser Lite
Notesbrowser Lite is like Notesbrowser Professional, but:
- no reminder
- no calender
- only one column with categories
- no skins
- no icons
- no printing
- no in-built backup
- limited Plugins (but the MP3 Timer will work)
- no playlists
- no internal links
- only a few settings
- only a few, short menus
- only one executable program file
- no dlls
- runs in a single folder, no subfolders
Notesbrowser Lite has these features:
- notes keeping in 20 categories
- up to 50 pages per category (like in Notesbrowser)
- free notes arrangement (Freeform mode)
- predefined page layouts
- fast search
- colors to organize notes
- drag&drop of categories and pages
- copy and paste of categories and pages (compatible to Notesbrowser)
- some settings (font, word wrap, etc.)
- formatting of text (with right click menu)
- the text fields work exactly like in Notesbrowser
Saves system resources
Notesbrowser Lite uses little resources:
- installation file is only 2 MB in size
- installation is one file, unpacked less than 4 MB in size
- uses with all notes usually below 8 MB on hard disk or USB stick
- launches on a normal PC in a few milliseconds
- uses usually below 10 MB of memory
Notesbrowser Lite consists of one file. At the first start, it creates 20 text files for the 20 categories and 2 files for settings.
Normally all files use together less than 8 MB on disk. If you save pictures in your notes, it may be more.
We developed Notesbrowser Lite to be as stable as possible. Internal Notesbrowser Lite uses different methods to ensure that not a single letter of your notes gets lost.
Also it has been ensured that multiple Notesbrowser processes can access the same database, in a network or locally, without one process overwriting notes from the other.
You will also be unable to crash Notesbrowser Lite. If you did, tell us how. We are very interested to know. Here is how to contact us: Contact form
Runs on all USB Sticks
It's small, it works in every folder where you copy it: Notesbrowser Lite is perfect for USB sticks.
One big advantage is, that Notesbrowser Lite uses only files in it's own folder. It does not access the registry or anything outside it's folder. So to use it on a USB stick, just copy it's folder there. Then just start it and it will work. On every PC.
You can carry your notes always with you.